Client: City of Salisbury
Project: St Kilda Adventure Playground – New Castle Structure
BluBuilt was engaged to upgrade the St Kilda Adventure Playground, featuring the design and construction of the new 3 level structural steel castle. BluBuilt developed an alternate design concept as part of its tender which provided significant benefits over the original design, primarily in the areas of aesthetics, public safety and cost. The structure incorporated an internal 3 level stainless steel slide, 2 external slides, fire poles, new path construction and hard landscaping.
- Design and certification of the new castle structure
- Demolition of the castle structure, tunnels and slides
- Bulk and detailed earthworks for structure and surrounding paths and embankments
- Structural concrete works – foundations
- Fabrication and erection of new steelwork structure incorporating access stairs, security and ‘Ronstan’ mesh
- Fabrication of 3 enclosed stainless steel slides and fireman’s poles
- Installation of softfall
Extensive planning and design works were required to produce a steelwork structure that could be erected with limited onsite welding, whilst maximising prefabrication opportunities for onsite erection optimisation. The structural configuration adopted achieved these goals.
Spiral slide fabrication was a challenge and again, with a lot of time spent with front end design and shop drafting, fabrication was completed to highest quality standards and tolerances.